Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The lighter side of raspberry

With half a bag of leftover frozen raspberries and the knowledge that I'd probably gained seventeen pounds from their first application, I thought it might be nice to cut out the dairy and eggs and try out a sorbet. I recently had an awesome raspberry lemonade while out at lunch recently, and I had a few lemons on hand, so I came up with:

Raspberry-lemon sorbet

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice

In a medium saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the 1/2 cup of water, stirring occasionally, over medium heat.

Add the frozen raspberries and cook until they begin to break down, about six minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Run the mixture through a strainer to remove the raspberry seeds.

Chill the mixture for at least two hours, then follow instructions on ice cream maker (for me, this meant assembling the freeze bowl, then slowly pouring the chilled mixture into the bowl while it is mixing.




Finally, chill in the freezer until sorbet is firm. 
Overnight works best.



Final product: smooth, tart, and refreshing.

This turned out to be a great recipe, for which I guessed the measurements based on my taste preferences. All I knew about sorbet is that it's best to start with simple syrup, and a one-to-one ratio of sugar and water sweetened the sorbet just enough. I like very tart fruit flavors, though, so if you want something sweeter I recommend increasing the sugar. This recipe is reminiscent of the raspberry lemonade that inspired it.

No comments:

Post a Comment